Friday, May 2, 2014

Listening to your body.....

Keep Smiling...


As a mother, I keep on trucking.  As a woman...I do the same.  There is no time for me to get sick.  Heck, this is the first time I have blogged in almost a year.  Since Emerson graced us with his amazing presence.  I have been working my usual crazy hours and also volunteering at the Reno Aces games to help supplement Stevi's cheer fund, babysitting Emerson any time I am able to, which is usually on Saturdays, keeping up with the household and bills etc.  I know, just like every other mother in America.  But I have not been feeling well. As a matter of fact, I have had the flu and "food poisoning" symptoms over and over.  Me.... self diagnosis.... I am exhausted and need a vacation, or I just need to slow down, or I am biting off more than I can chew, how about this self diagnosis....I'm getting older,  or it must be my hormones.  This one always works for me too,  "I have terrible allergies this year!'  and "My arthritis is getting terrible." so with a self diagnosis, there must be self medicating that follows as well.  Allergy medicine, Vitamin B-12, Nasonex, Advil, Aleve, Aspirin, Excedrin and of course Tylenol and decongestants.  But keep working and go to the gym no matter how tired you are. There is no rest for the wicked.

Now lets go back in time around 20 months ago.  I remember when because it was the month that Jay moved down to San Francisco.  So not only were we supporting two households and a very busy teenager, but we did not have dental insurance anymore.  I broke my crown on my tooth.  It hurt, but not enough to warrant an emergency so I did what any busy mother would do and called my good friend who works at a dental office and had her look at it and she filed the jagged edges down for me until I could, take that back, needed, to get it fixed.  It bothered me from time to time, but I have always had sensitive teeth so I would wince and get on with life.  Over the last few months it started to bother me more and I was more aware of it than usual, so I tried to not chew on that side and took Advil or whatever pain reliever we had in the cabinet when it bothered me.  Our dental insurance was put back into effect in January, so I decided to make us all dental appointments to get much needed check ups and cleanings, I booked mine first.
A. Because my schedule is the most flexible.
B. My tooth was starting to hurt worse.

Our dentist retired right around the time our insurance quit carrying dental and because my girlfriend worked at a dental office, we decided to switch over to a new office because we had been going to Dr. Crouse for at least  18 years and it just wouldn't be the same.  I was happy to hear that although it had been 6 years since my last visit to a dentist, I had one small cavity and hardly any plaque build up with healthy gums, until the X-ray portion.  My broken crown is now an abscessed tooth with a fractured root.  I go in Monday to have it pulled, I am on Amoxicillin for the infection and have to be prepped for an implant which apparently takes around a year to complete. I was told I may need to have my jaw repaired with mesh if the infection is bad enough.  This explains why I haven't felt well, my body has been fighting this infection and trying to tell me something was wrong.

Aging is never easy on a woman, or probably on a man for that matter.  After getting over the shock that I will now lose a tooth, I laugh when I realize I feel the same way as I did when I was put into Bifocals 6 years ago. So listen to your body, If you are squinting, get yours eyes checked and for Christ's sake, if you break a tooth, don't wait until it has it's own heartbeat to get it checked.
Dr. Cirelli Family Dentisty
The blessing in this is that, we now have a wonderful new dentist... Dr. Cirelli, with a great staff, Donna at the front desk is great and makes you feel right at home as soon as you walk in the front door or call, Debi, my dear friend and dental assistant who has always treated me as an old friend ever since the day we met and my new hygienist Tara who made me feel great by telling me what a great job I did taking care of my teeth. I will let you know how this all goes, my own fault, but since this is all new to me, I thought I would blog about it and take you along on this journey so maybe you will get that cleaning and check up you have been putting off.  And if you need a new dentist I highly recommend Dr. Cirelli and his office, not only is he  right there in the moment with you talking to you instead of at you, he personally called me himself today to make sure I was okay and gave me his number to call in case the pharmacy didn't fill my prescription in time , he said he would personally talk to the pharmacist.  Im happy we found a new dentist and not looking forward to my surgery on Monday, but glad to get it fixed and move forward with the next step. I should be back to work on Tuesday...so lets do this!Dental Care by Owl City

No comments: