Monday, August 3, 2009

Jumping curbs and taking names later.......

Yesterday was my day of leisure...I woke up, called my Mommy, had a fun chat with her, got on the computer and started my shopping list. It takes even longer now that we are starting Weight Watchers tonight, I had to research everything and make sure it was point worthy. Most of it is common sense, some of it is surprising. My mom suggested a W.A.L.K. with the dogs and I thought about it for later. Then I called my friend Autumn because Stevi is having some issues with her computer and she is the "Computer Whisperer." She asked us if we would like to go for a bike ride later and it seems that every time she asks me I am busy or can't for one reason or another, I said yes this time. Stevi wanted to go to Rue 21 and get a couple of summer outfits for the Family Reunion, and keeping in the "Lets be active" mode I suggested that we go only if we ride out bikes. We rode over the and had to race back to beat the rain. Got home, made dinner and called Autumn. After a little deliberation on whether it would lightning or not, we were on to meet at 7pm at the Java Jolt on Vista. As Stevi and I wait anxiously in our summer clothes on our cute little Mountain Bikes, up rides two bike riders ready to hit the road in full gear.............uh-oh. Now you know, I am a glutton for punishment and I will try anything at least once so of course I point to the neighborhood up on the hill, way up on the hill, and say...."Lets go there." Autumn casually smiles and says sweetly......"You know that's uphill right?" As we head up the hill on Los Altos, we get about a block from the meeting place and head towards the sidewalk. First Shannon hops her fabulous bike up onto the curb then Autumn, now my turn...........looks easy enough. I pull up on the handle bars, not as high as I had expected, hit the curb, flip the bike and take Stevi out in the process with my back tire. Of course I didn't have a helmet on, so I protected my head with my arms and got a trophy in return on my arm and elbow. Of course I started laughing as soon as I did it because I realized this was my first attempt at looking cool in front of my friends and I ummmmmm didn't succeed. Stevi is OK as well, but hey what's a bike ride without a little adventure. Now I see why they looked so cool in their gear, it really wasn't for looks, hmm who knew. To finish the ride we all ended up at the Starbucks and enjoyed a coffee, tea and great conversation together. I will proudly wear my scabs and bruises was a badge of honor......I think a helmet may be a good investment!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Yes, dear. Helmets may not look cool, but read or hear about brain injuries from bicycle accidents and you won't care what you look like.

Unknown said...

You should really talk to Trevor about the importance of bike helmets. He has clients that are practically vegetables now because they rode without helmets. He treats children.

Christina, Jack and Kevin Reese/Barnum said...

I'm glad you are ok!