Sunday, July 13, 2008

The misadventures of a Harley Grandma!!! Chapter 3











IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION.....IT'S THE JOURNEY.......

     Today was my good friend Kathy's Celebration of Life......she left us at 54 years young.  She passed away on July 5th in the arms of her beloved husband Kent.  As you grow in life, you learn how to be a friend and how to love people for who they are........she was in incredible kind person.  I met Kathy in August of 2003 when we rode with the Carson Tahoe Chapter for the first time after we bought Jay's first bike, an Anniversary Addition 2003 Fat Boy.  She and Kent became our friends almost immediately.  We have ridden our bike's with them for the past 5 years and been to their home a few times for visits and parties.  When Kathy had her heart attack 3 months ago, we went to the hospital and spent time with her there, she survived the heart attack, but unfortunately it was her cancer that she gave-in to.  We knew that Hospice had stepped in to help Kent so having gone through this with my father a couple of years ago, I knew what to expect.  Luckily, we were able to go to their home and sit and talk with Kent and  visit with Kathy a week before she passed away......I know she knew we were there, because Kent had put together a slide show of pictures for her to look at when she was awake, and there were quite a few pictures of us together, when they came up, she would make a noise and look towards me, occasionally a tear would roll down her cheek.  They say the mind is the last to go, and I know she was letting me know she loved me and knew I had come to see her.  Like with my father I was able to tell her how much I loved her and say goodbye and Thank her for being in my life.  So many people avoid those situations because they are extremely difficult,  I can't.  Make sure you take that time to tell those you love, how much they mean to you.  You may not get another chance, and if given the opportunity, I promise you, you will be glad you did.  Kathy taught motorcycle safety courses with her husband and always rode very safely and without going too fast, I asked her when I was there..."Who is going to keep the group in control and riding safely?"  She looked at me and tried to say something....so I told her...."I promise, I will."  and I will. Don't worry Kathy, we will honor the way you rode always and take care of Kent too.  I love you and you will surely be missed.

     And for those of you who believe in miracles, as Jay and I were walking to our bikes to put away a goodbye letter Kathy had written to her friends before she was unable to.....I read the letter and of course cried as I read it, the letter had a picture of her on the top of it.  It was 100 degrees today without a breeze, and as I carefully carried the letter to our bikes, to save it, a gust of wind suddenly whipped it out of my hand and spun it around in the air in front of me, I was grasping for it, crying and saying."oh no, oh no!"  it spun back around and down and stuck to my face, her picture actually stuck to my lip gloss for a second and as I pulled it away and looked at the picture of her smiling back at me, the imprint of my lip gloss was right smack in the middle of her picture.  I believe she gave me a kiss to tell me she was OK now.  I'm glad Jay was with me to see it, otherwise I would have thought it didn't happen myself.  Whoa.

IN MEMORY OF KATHY TAYLOR 1954-2008

4 comments:

Christina, Jack and Kevin Reese/Barnum said...

What a beautiful tribute to your friend, Lisa. Thank you for sharing it.

Mom said...

You made me cry. It is the rare individual that can face death, but it is sooo important to those leaving us. Dad appreciated every visit. The ones that came were his true friends.

Freaky Knitter said...

Wow! There is not a lot to say, except live today and put one foot in front of another and the journey will be good. I am glad you knew her and I am sure you touched her too!

Unknown said...

That was a really beautiful post, lisa. I absolutely loved the last part about the letter blowing up and smacking you in the face. So perfect.