This year has been a much kinder year, maybe not financially but emotionally. On January 14th Jay will be sober for 18 months. I am so proud of him and he is so much easier to be around. I count our blessings every day. Last night we went to my Mom's house and we all promptly fell asleep on the couch at around 10pm but not before we had a crazy evening of putting together a jigsaw puzzle's border. This morning as I was reading the paper and enjoying the fact that we are a few of the adults on this planet that do not feel hung over at all, I opened up to Dear Abby and she posted her New Years Resolutions out of the Al-Anon credo, which I have read. It is a nice reminder so for those of you who haven't read it or didn't read Dear Abby this morning, enjoy......
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself.
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I am a smoker, I'll quit. If I am overweight, I'll eat healthily-if only just for today. And not only that, I'll get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.
- JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.